Camp Hikon Closed for Summer 2021
Welcoming all Yeshiva
ages 8-18+ boys junior/senior divisions
ages 8-18+ girls junior/senior divisions
Camp Hikon joins a Torah program with critical sustainability, self-sufficiency and social skills.
We learn Halacha, Mishna and Tanach with a special focus on enhancing memory skills.
We combine the above with an exciting hands-on program featuring:
* Food preparation/preservation/storage
* Natural building & permaculture design
* Emotional resilience in adversity
Special needs campers may be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Inquire for details.
Boys and Girls camp divisions are in physically separate facilities but daven together on Shabbos.
Halachic guidance for Camp Hikon is given by a Musmach of Harav Dovid Feinstein, Zt”l.
Smart phones are prohibited and cell phone use is restricted.
There are a limited number of partial tuition waivers available. Inquire for details.
We are seeking counselors and assorted camp staff. For consideration, fill out the camper/counselor/worker application.
We are seeking tuition scholarship sponsors. Please help us make our exceptional camping experience universally available.
Campers and counselors: Please submit complete immunization records to help us meet NYS documentation requirements.
|Acquire Skills||Know the World||Explore the Future||Learn the Truth||Find Solutions||Sing With Us|
We’ve been blessed with an incredibly talented team going into our opening season. Here is a partial list of skills our campers will be exposed to over the summer:
- Acknowledgement – noticing, appreciating and expressing gratitude for the good in life
- Breadmaking – choosing a grinder, making sourdough starter, pull and fold, proofing
- Cob brickmaking – selecting soil, sand, straw and water, determining proper mix
- Composting – vermicomposting, compost tea, carbon/nitrogen ratio, turning, aging
- Cybercrime – Digital surveillance, spoofing, phishing, vulnerable infrastructure
- Fermenting – kimchi, chutney, sauerkraut, pickles, kombucha, lactic fermentation
- First Aid – medical emergencies, patient assessment, scene assessment, injuries, trauma
- Food Prep – understanding tastes, salts, oils, vinegars, acid/base, sweet/sour, contrasting colors
- Healthy relationships – honesty, empathy, communication, consistency, reciprocity, boundaries
- Mindfulness – mastering breathing, mastering thoughts, emotions, anxiety, anger
- Money/Gainful Employment/Home Economics/Parenting in The Great Reset
- Motion wellness – stretching for flexibility, balance and strength, breakdancing, acrobatics
- Music – rhythm, timing, transpose, tempo, structure, notation, chords, scales, keys
- Natural climate control – orientation, landscaping, thermal mass, wind tower and solar chimney
- Off-grid living – low-to-no power lifestyle, appliances, heating and cooking, cooling and storing
- Outdoor safety – weather, fire, solar cooking, wood splitting, drinking water, sheltering
- Preserving – alcohol, oil, vinegar, salt preservation, dehydration, cold storage
- Seedlings – cultivation and transplant for market gardening and year-round gardening
- Soil Chemistry – humus and buffering/exchange capacity, soil pH and bioavailability
- Sprouting – choosing seed, using light, moisture, soil, sprout combinations, use in food
- Stewardship – soil, groundwater, surface water, forest, wetlands, erosion control
- Swimming – competitive strokes, starts, turns, dives, underwater swimming, breath-holding
- Survival in the wild – plant/mushroom identification: edible, medicinal, useful, toxic
- Understanding AI/biopiracy/global trade/robotics/nanotechnology
- Understanding Big Ag/Coal/Data/Ed/Food/Meat/Oil/Pharma/Science
- Understanding hormone disruption/GMOs/EMFs/biodiversity loss
- Understanding the industrial/military/pharmaceutical/medical/dental/prison complex
- Water – choosing/designing a filter, history of water, rainwater, surface water, groundwater
- Wildcrafting – medicinal tinctures, alcohol vs glycerol, essential oils, hydrosols
- Zmiros – classical/modern, sad/happy/informational, tune, meaning, context, background
The healthiest wake and sleep cycle is synced with the cycle of the sun. For starters, we’ll settle for a 6am/7am wakeup:
|6:00 AM||Early wakeup|
|10:30 AM||Tea and cakes|
|10:45 AM||Fun activity|
|1:45 PM||Skill - practice|
|3:30 PM||Mishna (Boys)|
|4:45 PM||Chips and dips|
|6:45 PM||Skill - theory|
Here are some sample selections from our daily menu, prepared by our gourmet chef with the tongue and body in mind in the style he mastered at The Art Residence in Tzfat:
Breakfast – fresh milk, butter, plus 3 of: breads, eggs, oatmeal, polenta, pancakes, granola, yogurt, salads, veggies, fruit
Lunch – tahini plus 2 of: fish, rice, pizza, mac ‘n cheese, mock tuna salad, fried eggs ‘n potatoes, millet, eggplant parmesan, peas, corn, carrots, a fermented dish such as sauerkraut
Dinner – soup of the day plus 1 of: chicken, potatoes, green beans, beans ‘n rice, squash lentil curry, acorn squash with buckwheat